The necktie is probably one of the most pointless articles of clothing ever invented.

Historically speaking, the tie emanated from Croatia which is sometimes referred to as the Mother Country of the necktie (which really makes me want to review my last go-round at Epcot).  The story goes that a group of apparently well-dressed Croatians (I’m thinking Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd playing two wild and crazy guys in the 1970s) went to Paris in 1635 to see King Louis XIII.  The style-conscious Parisians were so impressed by the colorful scarves worn by their visitors that they quickly went to work borrowing the idea, wearing their own version of scarves ‘a la croate’.  This colorful piece of clothing soon evolved into the cravat, and then somehow over time became the modern necktie. 

The point of the necktie remains a mystery.  Succinctly pontificated by journalist Linda Ellerbee, “If men can run the world, why can’t they stop wearing neckties?  How intelligent is it to start the day by tying a noose around your neck?”  Yet there is no shortage of historical information referencing the necktie.  In ancient Rome, for instance, slaves serving as accountants and even physicians were forced to wear something reminiscent of a cloth tie around their necks in order to be easily identified by their masters.  Another belief, although somewhat far-fetched, holds that a tie is worn in order to keep warm.  Speaking from personal experience, I have never once found myself in a situation that left me relying on my tie for warmth, and if I ever do find myself in such a situation my assumption is that I would have far greater problems.  Others believe that the necktie is simply worn to hide the buttons on a shirt.  The purchase of a relatively expensive tie and the detailed ritual of putting a tie on seem like an incredibly lopsided investment just to cover up a few buttons.  Besides, if our civilization is technologically advanced enough to put a man on the moon, it seems reasonable that we would have invented a collared dress shirt designed without buttons by now, although modern science also remains puzzled by the mystery of a cornflake that stays crispy in milk.  Conversely, my old friend and comedy collaborator, J. Max Sullivan (a name that always makes me think he should be a department store instead of an actual person), was convinced that the tie was simply an attention getting arrow, which should make one eternally curious about the daily tie selections chosen by Sigmund Freud.

A necktie is now the common norm.  “I have very few memories of my dad without a necktie,” says Scituate resident Martha Murphy.  “Was he going to church or work?  The man even made a three course meal in a necktie every Sunday.”  

For years I adhered to the carefree style attempts of free thinking pilot Brian Hackett from the 1990s television series Wings.  The more outlandish the tie, the more it appeared to actually match the outfit making crazy tie choices a style all their own thus creating a predictably bad, yet easily replicated fashion expectation.  Not surprisingly, I have been accused many times of getting dressed in the dark.  I’ve worn ties with giraffes, hot dog stands, trains, and John Lennon drawings.  I’ve had ties that are striped, solid, plaid, and tie-dyed.  I even went through a phase during which I would randomly borrow the ties of colleague Brian Robinson, who made a thankfully convenient habit of keeping a large collection of ties at work on a hanger behind his desk.  My favorite Robinson contribution was the tropical island tie; unquestionably tacky – yet just what I was looking for.  

This year, I have dropped the tie from my daily professional repertoire.  I was never one to tighten my tie all the way to the top and incorporate the correctly displayed Windsor knot in the first place, much to the chagrin of some guys in my workplace who consider a properly worn tie to be the cornerstone of professional attire.  Besides, my workplace now requires us to wear identification cards on colorful lanyards around our necks which, to me, look and feel very much like a tie already.

And it is also convenient when we need to be identified by our masters.                                           

 Jay Gillespie can be reached at readjaygillespie.blogspot.com




Comments

Popular Posts