MAURA S. DOYLE SEEKS RE-ELECTION TO POST AS CLERK OF THE SUPREME JUDICIAL COURT FOR SUFFOLK COUNTY

(Originally published in the Boston Post-Gazette  2000)

By Jay Gillespie

Maura S. Doyle is campaigning to uphold her position as Clerk of the Supreme Judicial Court for Suffolk County. 

                A graduate of both Northeastern University and Suffolk University School of Law, Doyle, who credits the influence of the late Boston attorney, Abner Sisson, had made her presence known in the Massachusetts legal community and beyond.  After practicing as a civil litigation attorney for 11 years, Maura Doyle became a Supreme Judicial Court Assistant Clerk in 1992.  In 1996, the Justices of the Supreme Judicial Court unanimously appointed her Clerk of the Supreme Judicial Court for Suffolk County.  On November 3, 1998 Maura Doyle became the first woman ever to be selected Clerk of SJC. 

                “It was very difficult when I came here in 1992,” says Doyle, who has been credited with instituting technological improvements to the Clerk’s office with regard to public access to court records including the implementation of an electronic library of unreported single justice opinions as well as digital access to over twenty years of previous bar applications that are frequently at the request of the public.

                “I bring to the position a different view on how to do business in the sense that I’m not purely a political figure nor am I a person who has been a product of the judicial system their entire work life.  I brought a lot of the innovations I learned in the private sector with me such as computer knowledge,” says Doyle, who recently received Pope John XXIII High School’s 2000 Alumni Achievement Award. 

                “I bring a certain degree of professionalism, which is important.”  To further emphasize her point, Doyle informed me that she had created a seal for her office, the logo on which reads “the office is responsive, accountable, and professional.  Those are three very important things, not just as an elected official, but that anyone in public service has an obligation to fulfill.” 

                Already accomplished in her position, Maura Doyle looks to the future with new goals in mind.  “I have always taken the position that it is always my job to educate.  I try to do as much as I can to bring the court to the people.  I’d like to take that professional educational aspect to a new level and I’d love to see more people really know about this court.  The concept of politics and people is tremendously important in the context of the courts,” adds Doyle.  “It’s so important to have someone that is concerned about the responsiveness of the system and considers their job one of helping and not just being there.” 

                And so Maura Doyle seeks re-election to her position as Clerk of the Supreme Judicial Court for Suffolk County with a firm belief that she has worked for the confidence of the people to, again, gain their vote.  “If you have to answer to the people, it is important that you are accountable and demonstrate, no matter who that person is coming through the door or at the other end of the phone that you know what you’re doing and that you want to help.” 

                Doyle conducts herself with a steady confidence when she speaks of her tenure at the court with an accomplished look at the past and an optimistic view of the future.  “I strive for excellence, but not perfection,” says Doyle.  “I always do my best.” 


Comments

Popular Posts