ITALIAN JAZZMAN SPARKIE MIELE – AN ORIGINAL BOSTON TREASURE

(Originally published in the Boston Post Gazette  May 19, 2000)

                                                                                 

                
                If you have been to Hingham’s Tosca restaurant, the Marriott Copley’s Terrace Lounge, or the Mill Wharf at Scituate Harbor, you have had the pleasure of seeing and hearing one of the most authentic jazz acts in the Boston area, Sparkie Miele. 

                Spartaco Silvio Giovanni (Sparkie) Miele is an inspiration, demonstrating the intrinsic value and result of a lifetime spent pursuing a passion.  Miele is a master of jazz, a crowd pleaser who has never wanted to do anything but make music.  He speaks and plays with great enthusiasm as if his life in jazz is just beginning, but the world has been hearing the music of his horns for decades. 

                Sparkie Miele was born and raised in East Cambridge, one of eight children.  At the age of 10, Sparkie told his father of his desire to play the clarinet.  Young Sparkie was a lover of jazz from the beginning listening to Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw among others.  His father, an Italian immigrant who played the guitar and mandolin, promised to help him buy a clarinet if he agreed to learn solfeggio first.  “Solfeggio is the art of reading music without an instrument,” says Sparkie.  “My father gave me a book to accompany my studies that had come from LaScala DeMilan Opera House in Italy.  After ten months of solfeggio, my father declared the time appropriate to purchase a clarinet.  It was a private party deal and the guy that sold us the clarinet also had a saxophone.  We bought them together.” 

                By the age of 15, Sparkie was playing high school dances, block parties, and neighborhood functions.  At 16, he was learning the profession at clubs in Scollay Square, to the relative disapproval of his parents.  “I got caught playing there a few times,” Miele says. “ ‘Get home right now’, I was warned on more than one occasion.  But Scollay Square was where I really developed my skills as a musician.”  Playing the Bowdoin Café (now the Red Hat Lounge), Rainbow Grill, and Imperial Hotel, Miele learned the jazz trade that would carry him his entire life.  “Doing these shows I needed to know how to play more than one horn.  You had to be able to double on instruments because changes in songs demanded different players.  It was a big plus that I was able to switch horns and play different parts of songs.  As a result, my ability to double on instruments made me more versatile.  It was my ticket for getting more gigs.” 

                Sparkie finished high school at 18 and went on the road soon after.  “I toured the Midwest with a territory band.  The experience was great!  I learned a lot more about music because touring gave me a chance to read more music.” 

                In January 1951, Miele was drafted as a U.S. Army machine gunner.  “I was called and I went.  I let them know that I was a musician, but they put me in a machine gun unit anyway.  I went through five months of training, but I was also playing service clubs at the same time.” 

                When Sparkie traveled to Japan en route to Korea, his luck changed for the better.  Twelve of us were ordered to step out in front with the others.  Because we were musicians, we were going to be sent to Tokyo to audition for General MacArthur’s band.  Only six of us would make it.  The others would continue on to Korea.  Of course, I had no horn with me.  How was I going to audition without a horn?  Luckily, the army supplied me with a clarinet and I was sent into a private room to warm up.  When I deemed myself ready, a man took his place behind a piano.  With the piano accompaniment, I was told to play a melodic minor scale, and so forth.  He asked me if I played jazz, to which I replied, ‘Sure do!’  Not long after, I was told that I would be staying.” 

                While in Japan, Miele played functions for dignitaries, but also toured the country playing clubs with the Johnny Watson Kampai Kings.  “Watson was a 1st Sergeant.  He was a brilliant composer and arranger.  We had a seven piece orchestra and toured Japan.  One of Watson’s earlier tunes, 720 in the Books, was very popular.  It was recorded by RCA.” 

                Before long, Sparkie’s time in Japan was up.  “Johnny wanted me to stay.  He told me that he could help me get gigs all over Japan.  I thought that the clubs there were a ball, but I opted to come home to the United States.” 

                When he returned to Boston, Miele decided to further his musical studies.  “I came upon a very talented composer and arranger named Frank Cangliuso.  He was also a great clarinet and saxophone player.  He taught me the art of re-harmonization and composition.  To this day, I still use this method.” 

                After working stints at the Country Club in New York (where he became friends with comedian Norm Crosby) and the strip on Miami Beach, Miele agreed to head off on a tour of Europe and Africa that was to last for six months.  “It was a U.S.O. tour.  Went went to Turkey, France, Scotland, England, Germany, and Africa which was very beautiful.  It was on this tour that I met the girl I was going to marry.”  Marjorie, now his wife of almost 42 years, was a singer on the tour. 

                Upon his return from Europe, Sparkie found work on a jazz cruise touring the West Indies.  He found himself missing Marjorie.  He called her at home in Whittier, California and told her that he wanted to marry her.  “I had to go to California and ask her father, which I did.  We were married, moved back to the east coast, and raised a family of three boys and one girl.  All have studied music.  Christopher plays the reeds, Lisa the flute, Stanley the trombone, and Daniel is the drummer.  Christopher is currently playing in the orchestra of Miss Saigon.  We performed together as a family at a nursing homes when the kids were young.” 

                Sparkie and Marjorie moved to the slower life of Scituate to raise Christopher, Lisa, Stanley, and Daniel.  “I played behind some big acts at the South Shore Music Tent,” says Sparkie.  “I played with Melissa Manchester, the Fifth Dimension, and Liberace just to name a few.  I can’t even remember all the acts that I backed up.” 

                The kids were growing and Sparkie was still doing what he to do most, play music.  He decided to refocus his concentration on jazz specifically, going to clubs with tapes of his music trying to land jobs.  “Before long I was playing the Regatta Bar, Ryles, and Scullers regularly.” 

                As it stands today, Sparkie has been a regular at the Marriott Copley’s Terrance Lounge for five years, has been performing two nights a week at the Tosca Restaurant in Hingham for six years, and has been a regular player at the Mill Wharf Restaurant’s Jazz Brunch at Scituate Harbor on Sundays.  Sparkie also plays at The Mall at Chestnut Hill during Jazz Weekend festivities where he recently recorded his sixth CD.  “The ability to read music still gets me a lot of work,” says Miele.  “My father’s influence was beneficial in that he forced me to learn solfeggio when I was a kid.” 

                With a storied past behind him, Sparkie speaks of his current musical endeavors with energetic vitality.  “I love playing live jazz because what you see is what you get.  As a musician, you have to be on top of a lot of things.  Live music is spontaneous and jazz should be spontaneous.” 

                Does Sparkie Miele think that music has changed over the years?  “I think music has changed.  Mine was the era of Swing with Dexter Gordon, Zoot Sims, and Lester Young.  The change is good although music has gone in a different direction.  I like contemporary musicians like Dave Valentin, Frank West, and Michael Brecker who is more of an avante-garde player.  I appreciate their stuff, but I don’t play like they do.  I really dig Branford Marsalis!  I like his tenor and he plays great soprano.  He is extremely talented.” 

                The Spartacus Silvio Giovanni (Sparkie) Miele Quartet is made up of a number of interchangeable players.  “I like to employ younger players because they know where they’re going and where they are at.  I have been very fortunate to have had the musicians working for me that I have had, and I think that they enjoy working for me.  Piano players like Ron Zack and Ferdinando Argenti are just great.  Dick DiCenso is a wonderful drummer and teacher.  Drummer Gary Johnson has got great time.  He is very consistent, subtle, and fiery at the same time.”

                You would be hard pressed these days to find a man luckier, happier, or more accomplished than Sparkie Miele.  Accompanied by his wonderful wife and family and able to do what he loves the most, Sparkie presses onward entertaining crowds with his internationally influenced, but locally flavored brand of jazz.  “I’m just loving doing everything that I’m doing,” says Sparkie.  “I’m enjoying it more than I ever did.  My wife has been a saint and I love her deeply.  It will be 42 years in October!  I love my kids and my grand kids.  Music has been very rewarding for me, and I recommend it for anyone as a career or an avocation.” 

                - Jay Gillespie


Comments

Popular Posts