Carrying on as usual  
  This column originally appeared on Wicked Local.




When I leave for work in the morning, I always take the same four things from the top of my bureau.  I grab my car keys, my flash drive, my contact lens solution, and my IPhone and they all get stuffed conveniently into the left front pocket of my pants. Just for the record, I owned a flip phone until last summer when my wife convinced me to get a phone upgrade after tranquilizing me with a blow dart similar to one that Marlin Perkins used on Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom and whisking me away to Best Buy to take advantage of a buy one get one free deal that largely benefited her.  I keep my wallet in my right front pocket, a security habit I developed while living in the city.  If I kept my wallet in the left front pocket with the rest of those things, I would have had to wear a second pair of pants in order to fit it in. 
I leave the house carrying far too many things, but it wasn’t always that way.  Ten short years ago I would show up at my job with only my keys, my briefcase, and a cup of coffee.  I still jump out of my car (truck, actually) carrying a computer bag instead of a briefcase and, of course, my coffee.  Getting into the building where I work was once simple.  Now when I get to the door the simple task of taking my keys out of my pocket has become a far more complicated endeavor.  When I reach into my pocket, I now have to root around avoiding a phone, a small container of contact lens solution, and a flash drive equipped with a lanyard.  Invariably, my keys always find a way to get caught or intertwined with the lanyard resulting in frustration before I even get through the door which is never a good way to start your morning.  There are also certain doors in the building which require you to use a computerized identification card (also with a lanyard) in order to get in, leaving you with yet another item to carry. 
Driving is another story all together.  Coupled with the keys, contact lens solution, flash drive, and phone, I now have to combat with a wire used to charge my phone, a wire to charge my GPS, a wire used to listen to music on my phone (which I never do).  My truck also has a console unit which is equipped to hold no fewer than 8 beverages.  I could have a small reception in the front of my truck if I so desired.  The fact that the powers that be are only now becoming concerned with distracted driving amazes me.  Buzz Aldrin would have difficulty driving my truck (which happens to have a 5-speed standard transmission) while trying to manipulate a GPS, a telephone, a cup of coffee, the actual radio (I prefer the simplicity of AM), not to mention having to commandeer the shift at the same time.  I have cleared the console storage unit from the old cds that used to be stored there to make room for the multiple wires and chargers that I carry so I can put them away when they are not being used.  I was recently told that cds are now a thing of the past (same with my flash drive), and have also been informed that I should be using my phone to play music, although I can never truly motivate myself to initiate the process of connecting all of the wires to make that happen.  It is quicker (and to me, easier) to just push the buttons of my standard old radio and listen as I always have. 
We are far too preoccupied in contemporary society, in some cases unable to recognize and appreciate the world around us.  I relish the simplicity of the early morning, the sunrise and the cool morning air.  Phones, chargers, wires, flash drives and assorted electronic devices have become a part of the daily regimen, but to me they are all items better left behind.    


Comments

Popular Posts